Now Playing:

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

5th Grade

Today is my day off, it feels like all I ever do is work! I went to help out in Aidan's class this morning. I was reading essays about monsters! When I got home I was thinking about being in 5th grade again, my teacher was Ms. Gonzales. She was a fiery Vietnamese lady. I remember doing those types of assignments. They were so much fun. "Look I will give you a reward just for being creative!" I thought about some old friends too. Life was so carefree back then. I want my kids to look back at these years as carefree, but it is surprising how aware they are of current events locally and globally. I couldn't possibly tell you what was happening in the world when I was 10! Is a carefree childhood still possible? I would like my kids to look back at evenings spent wrestling and playing board games, nights cozied up in bed reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle. I want them to have that knowledge that no matter what was happening in the world around us that they were loved and safe. Time will tell if their memories of childhood seemed less carefree and if school days were jaded somehow by the influx of news and information.

1 comment:

Maritez said...

Ms. Gonzales?! I knew you looked familiar...from my 5th grade class! Amazing how little I have aged...BTW, I'm not Vietnamese ;) j/k! LOL

But seriously, how I miss those carefree days! I used to read "The Babysitter's Club" books under my covers with a flashlight just so I could finish the book, despite my bedtime :D